Senate Bill 2076, which will provide $11.7 million for Thoroughbred purses at and $6.3 million for Standardbred purses, now moves on to the floor of the Senate, which is scheduled to next meet on March 19. The extra cash could mean daily average purses of $275,000 to $300,000 at Monmouth Park this year.Barbara DeMarco Reiche, lobbyist for the New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association, said the bill would then go to the Assembly for concurrence. Acting Gov. Donald DiFrancesco could get the bill on his desk by March 27.DeMarco Reiche said that, while she had hoped a bill to legalize off-track and account wagering in state would be introduced this week into the Assembly, March is more realistic.
Most Popular Stories
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- KHRC Drug Tests: Turfway Meet 'Cleanest'
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- KY House Speaker: Gambling Amendment Dead
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55