Juvenile Stakes Top Final Day at Arlington
Updated: Sunday, September 18, 2005 12:26 PM
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 7:34 PM
Two-year-olds of both sexes take center stage on Sunday in a pair of grade III races that are part of closing day at Arlington Park this season.
The $200,000 Arlington-Washington Breeders' Cup Futurity (gr. III) for the boys and the $150,000 Arlington-Washington Breeders' Cup Lassie (gr. III) for fillies tops the meet's final card. Each of the one-mile races carries $50,000 in purse money from the Breeders' Cup Fund for horses nominated to the Breeders' Cup program.
Stakes winners Red Raymond and Sorcerer's Stone and undefeated Charley Tango are prominent among the 10 colts and geldings slated to run in the Futurity, which goes as race nine on the 10-race card.
Red Raymond, who races in the colors of Thomas W. Franks and is trained by Bob Holthus, comes to Arlington off a 1 ¼-length win in the $75,000 James C. Ellis Juvenile at Ellis Park in his last start. The son of Deputy Commander
has won two of three in his short career and will be ridden Sunday by John McKee, who was aboard for both of his victories.
Gaines-Gentry Thoroughbreds' Sorcerer's Stone captured Arlington's only previous stakes race this season for the juvenile set, the Honest Pleasure Stakes on July 31, to remain undefeated in two trips to the post. Mark Guidry gets a return call to ride the Patrick Byrne-trained son of Gulch
, who broke his maiden at Churchill Downs on July 3.
Stonerside Stable LLC's Charley Tango has been impressive in his two starts at the current Arlington meeting. On July 14 the Maria's Mon
colt broke his maiden, drawing off for a three-length score at the one-mile Futurity distance. Turning back to seven furlongs for his next start, the Mike Stidham-trained colt stalked the pace before drawing away to win by 3 ¾ lengths. Jesse Campbell has the mount.
Emerald Green Acres' Lizzy's Township (Craig Perret) and Naveed Chowhan's More Than Pretty (Jesus Castanon), the one-two finishers in the $85,000 Mountaineer Park Juvenile Fillies on Aug. 14, are among the favorites for the Lassie, which drew a wide open field of 11.
Another who will garner support is Kristine & John Richter's Jazzy Okie (John McKee), an Oklahoma-bred winner over males in the $60,000 Iowa Stallion Stakes Futurity at Prairie Meadows on August 13. Circle C Group Stables' Ex Caelis (Gary Stevens), a D. Wayne Lukas-trained maiden race winner at Saratoga last month, is also among the favorites in the Lassie, which is carded as the seventh race.$150,000 Arlington-Washington Breeder's Cup Lassie (gr. III, Race 7, 3:54 p.m.), 2-year-old filies, 1 mile
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Lampoon (IL), Christopher A. Emigh, 116, 50/1
2. Gleaming Elegance (FL), Roman Chapa, 116, 6/1
3. Jazzy Okie (OK), John McKee, 118, 10/1
4. Dyna's Gold Legend (TX), Mark Guidry, 116, 8/1
5. Original Spin (IL), Jesse M. Campbell, 116, 5/1
6. Ex Caelis (KY), Gary L. Stevens, 116, 7/2
7. Meadow Skippin (FL), Jerry La Sala, 116, 50/1
8. Coolwind (KY), Eusebio Razo, Jr., 116, 9/2
9. Lizzy's Township (FL), Craig Perret, 121, 4/1
10. American Diva (KY), Shaun Bridgmohan, 116, 15/1
11. More Than Pretty (KY), Jesus Lopez Castanon, 116, 6/1$200,000 Arlington-Washington Breeders' Cup Futurity (Race 9, 4:53 p.m.), 2-year-olds, 1 mile
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Cool Valley Cowboy (CA), Seth B. Martinez, 117, 15/1
2. He's a Dixie Boy (MD), Jesus Lopez Castanon, 117, 10/1
3. Mondavi (KY), Christopher A. Emigh, 117, 15/1
4. Brunzer (FL), Eusebio Razo, Jr., 117, 30/1
5. Red Raymond (KY), John McKee, 119, 4/1
6. Sorcerer's Stone (KY), Mark Guidry, 119, 7/2
7. Grand Survival (KY), Gary L. Stevens, 117, 3/1
8. Charley Tango (KY), Jesse M. Campbell, 119, 6/1
9. Broadway Ridge (FL), Frankie Pennington, 117, 12/1
10. Mr. Pinstripe (KY), Shaun Bridgmohan, 119, 5/1
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!