Scorpion heads a field of seven for Saturday's group I Ladbrokes St. Leger Stakes at Doncaster Race Course. This will be the smallest field to face the starter since 1992, when the great filly User Friendly defeated six rivals. The Susan Magnier-Michael Tabor owned colt, one of three group I winners from champion Montjeu's first crop, won the Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris (Fr-I) last time out. He will have the services of jockey Frankie Dettori for this race. Surprisingly, this will only be the second time that the champion jockey and Aidan O'Brien have teamed up. Dettori wound up at Doncaster after Godolphin released him from any other riding commitments for the day. Coolmore's top retained rider, Kieren Fallon, will be in Ireland, riding Oratorio in a group I at Leopardstown.
The main competition for Scorpion appears to be Sir Michael Stoute's colt Hard Top. The son of Darshaan won his last start, the Daily Telegraph Great Voltigeur Stakes (Eng-II) over The Geezer, who also runs Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Slideshow: Royal Delta