Australian champion Starcraft showed why he has been called a "monster" with an authoritative victory in the group I NetJets Prix du Moulin at Longchamp on Sunday. The chestnut son of Soviet Star grabbed the lead out of the gate and never looked back, having plenty left in the tank to hold off the late-running charge of the filly Gorella. Majors Cast finished third, with multiple group I winner Whipper in fourth. The favorite Valixir came home a disappointing fifth.
The Luca Cumani-trained colt was making his first start in over two months after he sustained a stress fracture of his pelvis. The injury was discovered after Starcraft ran poorly in the Coral-Eclipse Stakes (Eng-I). Cumani indicated that the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I) on September 24 was next, followed by either a start in the Emirates Airline Champion Stakes (Eng-I) or one of the races on Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championship day.
Runner-up Gorella may be headed to the United States for her next race. Her trainer, Jean de Roulle, told reporters that the filly "...could go to Keeneland for the Queen Elizabeth II Cup (gr. I), the Matriarch (gr. I), or the Breeders' Cup (gr. I)." Fourth-placed finisher Whipper is still on track for the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT).
Most Popular Stories
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk
- Lasix-Free BC Juveniles Show Few EIPH Cases