Australian champion Starcraft showed why he has been called a "monster" with an authoritative victory in the group I NetJets Prix du Moulin at Longchamp on Sunday. The chestnut son of Soviet Star grabbed the lead out of the gate and never looked back, having plenty left in the tank to hold off the late-running charge of the filly Gorella. Majors Cast finished third, with multiple group I winner Whipper in fourth. The favorite Valixir came home a disappointing fifth.
The Luca Cumani-trained colt was making his first start in over two months after he sustained a stress fracture of his pelvis. The injury was discovered after Starcraft ran poorly in the Coral-Eclipse Stakes (Eng-I). Cumani indicated that the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I) on September 24 was next, followed by either a start in the Emirates Airline Champion Stakes (Eng-I) or one of the races on Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championship day.
Runner-up Gorella may be headed to the United States for her next race. Her trainer, Jean de Roulle, told reporters that the filly "...could go to Keeneland for the Queen Elizabeth II Cup (gr. I), the Matriarch (gr. I), or the Breeders' Cup (gr. I)." Fourth-placed finisher Whipper is still on track for the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT).
Most Popular Stories
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More