Trainer Steven Asmussen worked Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Summerly over Saratoga's Oklahoma training track Monday morning as she prepares for the grade I, $750,000 Alabama Stakes, Saratoga's major race for 3-year-old fillies Aug. 20.
With regular exercise rider Carmen Rosas aboard, Summerly breezed six furlongs in 1:14 4/5. She started the first eighth of a mile in :13, then went in fractions of :25 2/5, :37 1/5, :49 4/5 and galloped out seven furlongs in 1:30. It was the first workout Summerly had since finishing second to Smuggler in the grade I Coaching Club American Oaks on closing weekend at Belmont Park.
"She really looked good out there," trainer Steve Asmussen said. "She has really looked good since coming to Saratoga. Her coat looks good, and she really enjoys the surroundings. For now, we're going to continue with the same training pattern for her heading into the Alabama."
Most Popular Stories
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Lucayan Well-Spotted in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- Bringing Precision to Track Maintenance
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Tournaments Growing Fans and Owners