Trainer Steven Asmussen worked Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Summerly over Saratoga's Oklahoma training track Monday morning as she prepares for the grade I, $750,000 Alabama Stakes, Saratoga's major race for 3-year-old fillies Aug. 20.
With regular exercise rider Carmen Rosas aboard, Summerly breezed six furlongs in 1:14 4/5. She started the first eighth of a mile in :13, then went in fractions of :25 2/5, :37 1/5, :49 4/5 and galloped out seven furlongs in 1:30. It was the first workout Summerly had since finishing second to Smuggler in the grade I Coaching Club American Oaks on closing weekend at Belmont Park.
"She really looked good out there," trainer Steve Asmussen said. "She has really looked good since coming to Saratoga. Her coat looks good, and she really enjoys the surroundings. For now, we're going to continue with the same training pattern for her heading into the Alabama."
Most Popular Stories
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- KHRC Drug Tests: Turfway Meet 'Cleanest'
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55