Big Bad Bue and Themanwiththebigcigar set opening fractions of :23 and :46 1/5, setting up Itstufftobegood's rally.
Krigger held his charge within striking distance, and then moved ahead by two lengths at the head of the stretch, extending his lead to nearly four lengths at the wire."I knew from the first time I rode this horse I just needed to sit on him," Krigger said. "This horse has a lot of confidence.""They (the owners) almost wanted to give this horse away," Knapp said. "He's an ornery bugger, but he has gotten a lot better. He's a typical racehorse."Itstufftobegood improved his record to 7-3-2 from 13 starts and paid $5.40, $3.20, and $2.60.
Exceptional Game returned $10.60 and $6.60 for second and Watershed Park paid $3.20 for third. The Harley H. Hoppe & Associates Marathon Championship Series is a set of four races in which the distance lengthens in each event. The first race was a 1 1/8-mile event run July 15 and won by Mister Doeny, who finished seventh in Friday's second leg. Leg three is run at 1-1/2 miles on August 27. The series culminates on September 18th with a 1-3/4 mile test. (Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Arqana Sale Closes With Records
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/10/2013