Big Bad Bue and Themanwiththebigcigar set opening fractions of :23 and :46 1/5, setting up Itstufftobegood's rally.
Krigger held his charge within striking distance, and then moved ahead by two lengths at the head of the stretch, extending his lead to nearly four lengths at the wire."I knew from the first time I rode this horse I just needed to sit on him," Krigger said. "This horse has a lot of confidence.""They (the owners) almost wanted to give this horse away," Knapp said. "He's an ornery bugger, but he has gotten a lot better. He's a typical racehorse."Itstufftobegood improved his record to 7-3-2 from 13 starts and paid $5.40, $3.20, and $2.60.
Exceptional Game returned $10.60 and $6.60 for second and Watershed Park paid $3.20 for third. The Harley H. Hoppe & Associates Marathon Championship Series is a set of four races in which the distance lengthens in each event. The first race was a 1 1/8-mile event run July 15 and won by Mister Doeny, who finished seventh in Friday's second leg. Leg three is run at 1-1/2 miles on August 27. The series culminates on September 18th with a 1-3/4 mile test. (Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru