Jockey Dale Beckner was sent to Monmouth Medical Center for precautionary X-rays following a spill in the sixth race at Monmouth Park on Friday.
"We're able to rule out a simple fracture to the left ankle," said Dr. Angelo Chinnici, medical director for Monmouth Park. "They'll keep him there for more observation, and we should know more either later tonight or by the morning."
Beckner was aboard the 3-year-old gelding Big Hearted Way around the far turn of the maiden claiming turf race when the horse veered out sharply, unseating the rider. Big Heated Way was uninjured in the incident.
A 32-year-old native of Spokane, Wash., Beckner won the Eclipse Award in 1994 as outstanding apprentice. He has piloted nine winners at the 2005 Monmouth Park meeting, good for 17th place in the overall standings.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale