Godolphin's Stellar Jayne will not participate in Sunday's $250,000 Go for Wand (gr. I) after coming out of her last work with some stiffness.Winner of the Mother Goose and Gazelle (both gr. I) last year, and a strong third in the Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I), Stellar Jayne has started only once this year, winning the Misty Galore, a restricted stakes race at Belmont."She didn't finish as well as we would have liked in her last work," said Rick Mettee, who oversees the Godolphin operation in New York for trainer Saeed bin Suroor. "She was a little stiff behind the next day."Stellar Jayne's last work was one week ago at Belmont, where she breezed six furlongs in 1:17.
"She ran a big race off the layoff," Mettee continued. "I doubt she'll run back in the Personal Ensign. Our main objective is the Breeders' Cup Distaff (at Belmont Park Oct. 29)."Mettee said that the $300,000 Ruffian (gr. I) at 1 1/16 miles at Belmont Park on Sept. 11th is a "realistic spot for Stellar Jayne's next start."The Go for Wand remains a strong race with the presence of last year's 3-year-old filly champ, Ashado, Test and Alabama (both gr. I) winner Society Selection, Andjuar, Bending Strings, and Daydreaming.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014