Henny Hughes, the 3-5 favorite, buried his rivals in the $107,700 Tremont for 2-year-olds at 5 1/2 furlongs by 15 lengths Monday at Belmont Park. Under jockey Gary Stevens, Henny Hughes pressed front-running Caleb Pond through an opening quarter mile of :22 and a half of :45 2/5, then glided to the lead and out-classed his five foes. Stevens hardly moved on the Hennessy colt, whose winning time of 1:03 3/5 was one and two-fifths of a second off of the track record set by Mike's Classic June 20, 2004.If there is any quirk that needs work with Henny Hughes, it's his behavior at the gate.
"He was a little tight, and I didn't like the way he was standing (in the gate)," Steven said. "But we couldn't move him because it was too tight. He out-broke himself and stumbled a little bit."Trainer Patrick Biancone, who previously won the Tremont with Zavata in 2002, said he would likely consider Saratoga's $150,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II) at six furlongs on July 28 as a next stop for Henny Hughes. Undefeated in two starts, Henny Hughes overcame a bad start at Monmouth Park in his debut and came back to win easily. "He wasn't the best from the gate last time," Biancone said. "Last time, he did it from behind. This time, he was in a speed (duel). We'll see how he comes back, and look at the Saratoga Special. He's speed on speed. He's bred to be a successful two-year-old."Henny Hughes paid $3.40, $2.30, and $2.10. Short Circuit returned $2.80 and $2.10, and Caleb Point paid $2.10.
Gulf Coast Farms and Martin L. Cherry own Henny Hughes.Creve Coeur, Loushe, and Bello Victorio completed the order of finish. (Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards