Delaware Park Cancels Monday Card; Track Superintendent Replaced
Updated: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 1:00 PM
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 1:16 PM
Delaware Park officials announced Monday that a new track superintendent had been hired and that racing was cancelled in order to prepare the track for Tuesday's race card.
On Sunday, racing was halted after six races because jockeys refused to ride in the final four races on the card.
Bill Fasy, Delaware Park chief operating officer, announced that Ken Brown is the new racing superintendent, replacing Bob Beaubien, and that efforts were being made to get the track ready so racing could resume Tuesday, when 10 races are carded.
A statement from Delaware Park said Brown has 18 years' experience with the Maryland Jockey Club, where he served as track superintendent and oversaw all aspects of track maintenance.
The statement said racing was cancelled Monday "in order to give Ken and his staff time to work on the track surface." The track plans to request four additional racing days in August from the Delaware Thoroughbred Racing Commission.
"We are confident that Ken's proven track record in maintaining a quality racetrack surface will result in optimum track conditions and restore the confidence of our racing fans, horsemen, and jockeys," Fasy said.
According to the Wilmington News-Journal
, jockeys refused to ride the final four races of Sunday's 10-race program due to the problems they said included the track being too loose, being very deep, dry and hard for the horses to get comfortable with.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!