Edgar Prado, the leading jockey at Belmont Park, will replace injured Russell Baze on undefeated Lost in the Fog in the $200,000 Riva Ridge Breeders' Cup (gr. II) Saturday.
Baze, who has been aboard for all six of Lost in the Fog's victories, sustained a fractured collarbone in a spill Wednesday at Golden Gate Fields and will be sidelined for up to two months.
"When you look at who was available, it really wasn't a tough decision," said trainer Greg Gilchrist of his selection of Prado, who topped the Belmont Park jockey standings with 36 victories heading into Thursday's action. "He's won a lot of big races, and who knows this track better than him?"
Baze, who leads the nation in wins with 205 this year, is disappointed about not being able to ride Saturday but said he'd gladly share his knowledge of Lost in the Fog with Prado.
"I will (talk to Prado) if Greg wants me to," said Baze, who was resting at his Woodside home Thursday morning. "There's not a whole lot to tell – he's pretty straight forward to ride."
The speedy Lost in the Fog has won his six races by a combined margin of 44 3/4 lengths and he owns track records at Golden Gate Fields (1:07.32 for six furlongs) and Turf Paradise (1:13.24 for 6 1/2 furlongs).
The Riva Ridge, a seven-furlong dash for 3-year-olds, is one of the supporting stakes on the Belmont Stakes card. The race attracted a field of eight and Lost in the Fog is a 4-to-5 favorite on the morning line.
Harry J. Aleo of San Francisco owns Lost in the Fog, who has earned $417,075 in his six races. Post time for the Riva Ridge, which will be televised live on ESPN, is 4:32 p.m. ET.
Most Popular Stories
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Easthams Re-Launch Legacy Bloodstock
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Close to VLT Agreements
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- Canterbury Releases 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Bill Presented to Expand KTDF Availability
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards