Santa Candida, a group I winner in Argentina, will make her California debut in the $200,000-added Milady Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares Saturday at Hollywood Park, trainer A.C. Avila confirmed Wednesday from his Santa Anita base."We're planning to run," Avila said of the 4-year-old chestnut filly, winner of the Seleccion de Potrancas (Arg-I) at La Plata in her final Argentine start in October. She finished eighth in the Humana Distaff Handicap (gr. I) at Churchill Downs in her United States bow on May 7."She bled at Churchill," said Avila. "She's a classy filly. It usually takes three or four starts before you can tell how well they will do here. I expect her to run a little bit off the pace."Santa Candida also won group II and III stakes in Argentina. Owned by Michel Viejobueno of San Clemente, Santa Candida has captured four of seven starts.Defending champion Star Parade, another Argentine-bred, is part of a solid group of seven probable for the 1 1/16-mile Milady.
The probable lineup: Hollywood Story, Victor Espinoza, 121 pounds; Alphabet Kisses, Gary Stevens, 117; House of Fortune, Alex Solis, 116; Star Parade, Jose Valdivia, Jr., 115; Santa Candida, Omar Berrio, 113; Andujar, Corey Nakatani, 112, and Siphon Honey, Julio Garcia, 112.Trainer John Shirreffs, celebrating his 60th birthday, said that Santa Margarita Handicap (gr. I) winner Tarlow, the second high weight at 119, would not join Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III) winner Hollywood Story in the lineup.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Riposte Heads Solid Hillsborough Field
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones