"Tranquility Farm embodies the spirit of equine assistance typifying that which Piedra Foundation's Board held most dear," said Dr. Jay Rose, DVM, the former chairman of the board of the Piedra Foundation.
Tranquility Farm established the John W. Russell Memorial Surgical Fund in 2004--in memory of the late Thoroughbred trainer and Tranquility Farm director--and has subsequently provided surgical care for seven injured racehorses. Funds from the Piedra Foundation grant will be used for feed and health care for Tranquility Farm's resident horses.
Tranquility Farm is 501(c)(3) charity based in Tehachapi, Calif., that accepts the donation of Thoroughbred horses for retirement and retraining from racetracks or breeding farms. Among the approximately 100 retirees are stakes winners Southern Wish, Mellow Fellow, River Rhythm and I Love Silver.
The goal of Tranquility Farm is to give each horse their best opportunity to find an adoptive home, and for those in need of humane retirement, a comfortable life. No Thoroughbred is denied access to Tranquility Farm based upon their owner's financial contribution. Tranquility Farm requests, but does not require, that owners provide a donation toward the costs of rehabilitation and retraining. Tranquility Farm is accredited by the Thoroughbred Adoption and Retirement Association and is an affiliate member of the NTRA Charities.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online