Pickle, who won the Wilshire Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park by a nose on April 23, stands out among the eight fillies and mares set to start in the $100,000 Yerba Buena Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Golden Gate Fields Saturday.
The Yerba Buena will be contested at 1 1/16 miles on the turf. Pickle will carry high weight of 118 pounds, including Hall of Famer Russell Baze. Owned by Ron Charles and Clear Valley Stables, Pickle has won six of his 17 career starts and $147,605.
Sandy Shulman trains British-bred Pickle, who has won two of three since coming to the U.S. The 4-year-old filly was very game in the Wilshire to hold off Makeup Artist and earn a photo finish decision in the one mile turf stake. There figures to be a lively pace in the Yerba Buena with Midwife, who posted lively fractions before fading to sixth in the 1 1/4-mile Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT) at Santa Anita April 17. She breaks from the inside post with Francisco Duran aboard.
$100,000 Yerba Buena Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT), fillies & mares 3 & up, 1 1/16 miles (turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Midwife (FL), 117, Francisco Duran
2. Lazurita (BRZ), 115, David G. Lopez
3. Nyramba (GB), 114, Julio A. Garcia
4. First Draft (CA), 116, Miguel A. Perez
5. Marla Bay (KY), 115, Frank T. Alvarado
6. Platinum Princess (KY), 113, Roberto M. Gonzalez
7. Ramatuelle (CHI), 114, Chad P. Schvaneveldt
8. Pickle (GB), 118, Russell A. Baze
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award