Funeral services are May 16 in Louisville for longtime Thoroughbred owner James Bohanon, who died on May 11 at University of Louisville Hospital.
Bohanon, 59, grew up near Churchill Downs and enjoyed a successful career in the health care industry with Humana and Galen Health Care, retiring as president and chief operating officer of the latter in 1993.
Along with his personal racing and breeding interests, Bohanon was a partner for several years with Carl Pollard, Churchill Downs Incorporated's board chairman, in Claim To Fame Stable, which concentrated on claiming horses. Survivors include his wife, Patricia; his daughter, Amy; and his mother, Sarah White; and a sister, Sue Ernst of Louisville.
A memorial mass for Bohanon is scheduled at 9:30 a.m. on Monday at St. Barnabas Catholic Church at 3042 Hikes Lane. A private burial is scheduled at Cave Hill Cementery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Digestive Surgery Research Laboratory at U of L Hospital or the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts