Point Given, runner-up to Macho Uno in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, breezed five furlongs at 9:15 a.m. Thursday in 1:00.20 under regular rider Gary Stevens in advance of his next probable start in the $250,000 San Felipe Stakes March 17. "He was very well within himself," said Stevens after the work. "It was nothing serious, the track was a little tiring and Bob (Baffert) didn't want to do too much with him today." Point Given's exercise rider, Pepe Aragon, had an anxious moment taking the colt to the track Wednesday morning. A loose horse came through the gap, Point Given reared and Aragon did well just to hang on and keep the colt under control. "I don't mind if he rears up like that," said Aragon. "But that loose horse was running through and I didn't want him to run into us.". . Trainer Bob Hess Jr. said that D'wildcat, third behind Early Flyer in Saturday's San Vicente Stakes, will ship to Florida for a probable start in the Grade 3 Swale Stakes on Saturday, March 10. "There's less competition back East," said Hess. "I think Early Flyer and Lasersport are better than any they have back there." Early Flyer, trained by Ron McAnally, will likely reappear on Big 'Cap Day March 3 in the $200,000 San Rafael Stakes for 3-year-olds at one mile. Unfortunately, the Darrell Vienna-trained Lasersport is on the shelf indefinitely with a fractured knee.
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay