The Joe Hirsch Scholarship includes a journalism-related internship at a Thoroughbred racing organization. Scholarship candidates must meet a minimum GPA requirement and demonstrate financial need. "I am thrilled and deeply honored," Hirsch said.
Hirsch founded the National Turf Writers' Association and was its first president. He won numerous awards during his long career, including the Eclipse Award of Merit, the Jockey Club Medal, and the Lord Derby Award, given by the Horse Race Writers of Britain. Hirsch is the author or co-author of five books.
In recent years, Hirsch has been saluted by two of the sport's greatest venues, Saratoga and Churchill Downs, each of which named its press box in his honor.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban