Trained by Bernie Flint, the Kentucky-bred daughter of Petionville was ridden by Robby Albarado in the Ashland."(Her connections) called me before the Ashland to ride, but Patrick had to be in Hot Springs riding that same day," said Valenzuela's agent, Ronnie Ebanks. "After she ran second last weekend, I was contacted again.
"We're very excited about riding this filly. She's already beaten both Sis City and Summerly. She already won over the Churchill Downs surface when she won the Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) last year, and it's her home track. "Pat told me, 'Get me on her and we'll win the Kentucky Oaks.'"
In addition to the Golden Rod, Runway Model also won the Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) and placed in five other added-money events, including a third-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I). From a record of 12-4-3-3, Runway Model has banked $713,598.
"She ran great in the Ashland," Valenzuela said. "I'm very much looking forward to her running well in the Oaks."
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses