Trained by Bernie Flint, the Kentucky-bred daughter of Petionville was ridden by Robby Albarado in the Ashland."(Her connections) called me before the Ashland to ride, but Patrick had to be in Hot Springs riding that same day," said Valenzuela's agent, Ronnie Ebanks. "After she ran second last weekend, I was contacted again.
"We're very excited about riding this filly. She's already beaten both Sis City and Summerly. She already won over the Churchill Downs surface when she won the Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) last year, and it's her home track. "Pat told me, 'Get me on her and we'll win the Kentucky Oaks.'"
In addition to the Golden Rod, Runway Model also won the Alcibiades Stakes (gr. II) and placed in five other added-money events, including a third-place finish in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I). From a record of 12-4-3-3, Runway Model has banked $713,598.
"She ran great in the Ashland," Valenzuela said. "I'm very much looking forward to her running well in the Oaks."
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- NYRA Budget Passes, But Not Without Debate