Sun King is one of five Derby hopefuls trained by Zito, who has won the Blue Grass a record-tying three times, including last year with The Cliff's Edge.
"I've tried all my life to get a horse in the Derby," said Farmer. "I haven't even done that yet. This would be the first time."
Consolidator, trained by D. Wayne Lukas, is the most experienced horse in the field. The son of Storm Cat will be making his 10th career start. He won the San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita in his last start and prevailed in the Lane's End Breeders' Futurity (gr. I) at Keeneland last October."If he runs like last time in California, he can win this race," said his jockey, Rafael Bejarano.Bandini was second to another Kentucky Derby prospect, High Fly, in the Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park on March 5 in his last start. Bandini's sire is 2000 Kentucky Derby winner Fusaichi Pegasus .
Bandini and Closing Argument, a 10-1 shot trained by Kiaran McLaughlin, originally were scheduled to run in the Florida Derby (gr. I) on April 2, but each had setbacks that left them being pointed toward the Blue Grass.John Velazquez will ride Bandini and Cornelio Velasquez will ride Closing Argument.
The field for the $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes, in post position order, with jockeys and morning line odds:1 -- Mr Sword, Jerry Bailey, 30-1
2 -- Closing Argument, Cornelio Velasquez, 10-1
3 -- Spanish Chestnut, Gary Stevens, 15-1
4 -- Consolidator, Rafael Bejarano, 7-2
5 -- High Limit, Ramon Dominguez, 9-5
6 -- Sun King, Edgar Prado, 2-1
7 -- Bandini, John Velazquez, 4-1
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap
- Penn National Plans to Race 200 Days in 2014
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity