Leading trainer Doug O'Neill plans to double team champion filly Sweet Catomine in Sunday's Santa Anita Oaks (gr. I).
O'Neill, with 37 wins through 54 days of the 85-day meeting, is on course to shatter the single-season record of 47 shared by Gary Jones and Bob Baffert. O'Neill expects to enter Cream Donut Keith and Guaranteed Victory in the $300,000 Oaks at 1 1/16 miles.
"They're both doing good," O'Neill said of his fillies. "There's a slight chance Guaranteed Victory could run the day before in the China Doll ($75,000 at one mile on turf) but right now they're both pointing toward Sunday."
Cream Donut Keith caught the attention of fans with impressive five-length victory on Feb. 3 after invading from Philadelphia Park. The New Jersey-bred daughter of Lion Hearted won her only two starts by a combined 12 ¾ lengths.
Sweet Catomine worked four furlongs Wednesday under Corey Nakatani in :48. "She went really nice," Nakatani said.
Probable for the 64th running of the Oaks: Cream Donut Keith, Tyler Baze; Feel The Heat, no rider; Guaranteed Victory, Rene Douglas; Memorette, Kent Desormeaux; and Sweet Catomine, Nakatani.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Riposte Heads Solid Hillsborough Field
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones