Donn Handicap (gr. I) winner Saint. Liam has joined the probable field for the $1 million Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) March 5, according to racing secretary Rick Hammerle.The mare Island Fashion, second to Southern Image in last year's Big 'Cap, is a possibility for the 1 ¼ mile-event, trainer Marcelo Polanco said Wednesday.
"We have some other races for her as options, but we'll see how the race shapes up," Polanco said.
Saint Liam, a 5-year-old Kentucky-bred horse trained by Richard Dutrow Jr., has a 6-5-1 record from 15 starts with earnings of $1,060,035 for owners Mr. and Mrs. William Warren Jr. He won the Donn at Gulfstream Park on Feb. 5 by 3 3/4 lengths for his first grade I victory. He won the Clark Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs prior to the Donn.
Island Fashion, a 5-year-old gray mare by Petionville , was second in the seven-furlong Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) as the favorite on Jan. 30. She has a 6-3-0 record from 18 starts with earnings of $1,777,970 for the Everest Stables of Jeffrey Nielsen.
Most Popular Stories
- Canterbury Releases 2014 Stakes Schedule
- American Gaming Association Adds Churchill
- Finger Lakes Launches ADW Site
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat