Philip and Marcia Cohen's Closing Argument (by Successsful Appeal), winner of the Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 5, "worked great" at Palm Meadows Monday morning, according to trainer Kiaran McLaughlin, speaking shortly after the half-mile move.
"I got him going in :49 2/5 which was just what we wanted," McLaughlin said, "because he did the first part in something like :25 2/5 and came home real nicely the last quarter."McLaughlin said Closing Argument would be trained up to the grade II Fountain of Youth on March 5 and "see how he does," but added that the April 2 Florida Derby (gr. I) is the main objective.Meanwhile, Michael Tabor Derrick Smith's undefeated Bandini (By Fusaichi Pegasus ) breezed five-eighths of a mile in 1:02.60 at Palm Meadows on Sunday in preparation for the Fountain of Youth.Trainer Todd Pletcher said he would send Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) winner Proud Accolade (Yes It's True ) to New Orleans for the Louisiana Derby (gr. II) and that Vicarage is a possibility for the grade III Swale Stakes on the Fountain of Youth card.Viscarage (Vicar) breezed a half-mile in :49.20 Sunday at Palm Meadows.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- NYRA May Lose Skorton as Chairman
- Haskin's One for the Roses: Honor Code