Roman Ruler, who worked six furlongs from the gate in a swift 1:11 2/5 on Sunday morning, will have Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey aboard for his 3-year-old debut Feb. 13 in the $150,000 San Vicente (gr. II), trainer Bob Baffert said.The San Vicente is at seven furlongs."He looked like the Roman Ruler of old," an enthusiastic Baffert said of the son of Fusaichi Pegasus . Roman Ruler, who worked in company with Sea of Silver, finished fifth as the 2-1 favorite in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) in his last start.
"His last few races he hadn't been breaking all that well but today he broke like a shot," Baffert said. "I wanted to work him from the gate to sharpen him up. He went very well and I liked what I saw. I'm very happy with him and he's right on target."
Most Popular Stories
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Two Colts Bring $1.6 Million Each at OBS
- What's Going On Here: Dude the Redeemer
- Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region: A New Heritage
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Malibu Moon Colt Brings $1.3 Million at OBS
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- New York Panel to Adopt, Amend Racing Rules
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004