Good Student, a 5-year-old Argentine import from the barn of Ron McAnally, held off the fast-closing Belle Ange to win by a nose Thursday in Santa Anita's $79,350 Tuzla Handicap, a turf mile contest for fillies and mares.
Good Student bolted to the lead under jockey Tyler Baze and saved ground on the inside around both turns. Her six rivals looked ready to overtake her at the top of the stretch, but the mare had plenty left and surged forward while being challenged only by the charging Belle Ange and rider Kent Desormeaux as she won in 1:37.28. Morning line favorite Katdogawn, ridden by Rene Douglas, was another half-length back in third. The winner carried 116 pounds and paid $7, $3.60 and $2.60. Belle Ange carried 115 and paid $7.40 and $2. Katdogawn carried 120 and paid $2.80 to show. The victory was the fifth in 10 starts for Good Student, a daughter of Louis Quatorze owned by Arnold Zetcher. She earned $47,610, bumping her lifetime earnings to $192,767. A string of longshot winners, including 12-1 Silver Dawn in Thursday's fifth, prompted a Pick 6 carryover of $82,760, which will be in play on Friday's race card. First post time Friday is 1 p.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return