Good Student, a 5-year-old Argentine import from the barn of Ron McAnally, held off the fast-closing Belle Ange to win by a nose Thursday in Santa Anita's $79,350 Tuzla Handicap, a turf mile contest for fillies and mares.
Good Student bolted to the lead under jockey Tyler Baze and saved ground on the inside around both turns. Her six rivals looked ready to overtake her at the top of the stretch, but the mare had plenty left and surged forward while being challenged only by the charging Belle Ange and rider Kent Desormeaux as she won in 1:37.28. Morning line favorite Katdogawn, ridden by Rene Douglas, was another half-length back in third. The winner carried 116 pounds and paid $7, $3.60 and $2.60. Belle Ange carried 115 and paid $7.40 and $2. Katdogawn carried 120 and paid $2.80 to show. The victory was the fifth in 10 starts for Good Student, a daughter of Louis Quatorze owned by Arnold Zetcher. She earned $47,610, bumping her lifetime earnings to $192,767. A string of longshot winners, including 12-1 Silver Dawn in Thursday's fifth, prompted a Pick 6 carryover of $82,760, which will be in play on Friday's race card. First post time Friday is 1 p.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Veterinarian-Farrier Team Key to Managing Laminitic Horses
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/10/2013
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale Posts Increases
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top