"That's a scare we didn't need," said a relieved McCarron. "It's obvious the work didn't take anything out of him."
Robbins reported that Tiznow and his problematic feet came out of the work in good shape.In other Strub Stakes developments:--Gary Stevens picks up the mount on Bob and Beverly Lewis $1.8 million yearling Tribunal from trainer Bob Baffert. Stevens, Baffert and the Lewises teamed to win the 1998 Strub with Silver Charm, setting the stakes record of 1:47.27 in the process.--Wooden Phone breezed four furlongs Tuesday in :47.40 and will probably breeze again Wednesday, according to Baffert assistant Jim Barnes. Wooden Phone finished a length and-a-half behind Dixie Union in the Malibu and two lengths back of Tiznow in the San Fernando.--Nurdlinger breezed six furlongs Saturday in 1:14.80 for trainer John Sadler, who was only half-joking when he said, "We're running for second." "He worked satisfactorily for it being an off track," said Sadler. "He seems to like the mud."--Trainer Paddy Gallagher reported that Walkslikeaduck is unlikely to enter the Strub.--"He's had a slight setback," said Gallagher, unwilling to elaborate. "We'll probably pass this one and maybe put him back on the turf."Probable to the grade II, $500,000 Strub Stakes, with jockeys: Tiznow, Chris McCarron; Tribunal, Gary Stevens; Wooden Phone, Corey Nakatani; Nurdlinger, Tyler Baze and Jimmy Z, Laffit Pincay Jr. Possibles include: Capo Di Capo, Alex Solis.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win