A bay filly by Successful Appeal out of Binawin, by Binalong, the Florida-bred 3-year-old won the first race at Santa Anita on opening day under Rene Douglas by 1 ½ lengths, covering six furlongs in 1:09.83 under 120 pounds.
"If she won I planned to run her in the Millions," Cerin said, referring to the Oaks, which is at Santa Anita. It is one of four races each at Santa Anita and Gulfstream Park offering a total of $3.6 million in purse money. The third annual event matches California-bred horses against Florida-breds."It's got a lot of appeal," Cerin said. "We don't have to ship anywhere and she just won over the track at six furlongs, so it's a good spot."
First post time at Santa Anita on Sunshine Millions day will be 11:45 a.m. The eight-race, one-day festival will be televised nationally on NBC from 1 to 3 p.m.
Coastal Strike, who worked six furlongs on Santa Anita's "sloppy" track after Saturday's second race, also is a candidate for the Oaks, trainer Cliff Sise Jr. said. Gary Stevens was aboard Coastal Strike who was clocked in 1:12.73, with fractions of :22.38, :47.44 and 1:00.36.
McCann's Mojave, fifth as the 9-5 favorite on a "sloppy" track in the El Conejo Handicap, is aiming for $300,000 Sprint at Santa Anita, trainer Leonard Dorfman reports.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Red Reveur Upsets Hanshin Juvenile Fillies