Scrofa, in her fourth start since being claimed for $62,500, posted a convincing victory in the $100,000 Work The Crowd Handicap for California-bred fillies and mares at Golden Gate Fields Sunday.
Ridden by Omar Figueroa and trained by Paul Aguirre, Scrofa rallied from fourth in a field of nine to capture the one-mile turf stakes by 5 1/2 lengths over 2-1 favorite Shalini. Bartok's Blithe, a 24-1 outsider, finished third.
Scrofa earned $50,600 for the victory and has made $106,220 since Aguirre claimed her at Del Mar for owners STD Racing Stable and Omar Aldabbagh. Scrofa is a 3-year-old filly by Unusual Heat.
Scrofa surged inside of pacesetter Marty's Zee on the second turn to take command and never looked back.
Figueroa flew in from his Christmas break in Puerto Rico Saturday night to ride Scrofa. Scrofa was timed in 1:37.82 on a course rated good and paid $11.20 as the third choice in the wagering. Scrofa is 3-for-5 on turf and 5-for-17 overall.
After eluding handicappers for five straight racing cards, the Pick Six was hit Sunday. Handicappers that had perfect tickets received $50,827.20.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Red Reveur Upsets Hanshin Juvenile Fillies
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win