Scrofa, in her fourth start since being claimed for $62,500, posted a convincing victory in the $100,000 Work The Crowd Handicap for California-bred fillies and mares at Golden Gate Fields Sunday.
Ridden by Omar Figueroa and trained by Paul Aguirre, Scrofa rallied from fourth in a field of nine to capture the one-mile turf stakes by 5 1/2 lengths over 2-1 favorite Shalini. Bartok's Blithe, a 24-1 outsider, finished third.
Scrofa earned $50,600 for the victory and has made $106,220 since Aguirre claimed her at Del Mar for owners STD Racing Stable and Omar Aldabbagh. Scrofa is a 3-year-old filly by Unusual Heat.
Scrofa surged inside of pacesetter Marty's Zee on the second turn to take command and never looked back.
Figueroa flew in from his Christmas break in Puerto Rico Saturday night to ride Scrofa. Scrofa was timed in 1:37.82 on a course rated good and paid $11.20 as the third choice in the wagering. Scrofa is 3-for-5 on turf and 5-for-17 overall.
After eluding handicappers for five straight racing cards, the Pick Six was hit Sunday. Handicappers that had perfect tickets received $50,827.20.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- NTRA Safety Alliance Re-Accredits Aqueduct
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Concern, Tuscalee Inducted into Maryland Hall
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Kentucky Horsemen Prepped on New Drug Rules