Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze suffered a mild concussion and abrasions to his forehead and nose when he was unseated at the start of the fourth race Wednesday at Golden Gate Fields.
Baze, who ranks third on the all-time list in total number of victories, came off his mount, Gambol Goldfish, when the 4-5 favorite stumbled leaving the gate. Baze was taken to Alta Bates Hospital in Berkeley for precautionary X-rays.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- NH House Rejects Expanded Gaming Bill Again
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses