Tagg's Duo Headlines My Charmer Handicap
Updated: Saturday, December 4, 2004 12:47 PM
Posted: Wednesday, December 1, 2004 7:34 PM
Trainer Barclay Tagg sends out a pair of last-race stakes winners, part of a full field entered for the $100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the Calder turf course Saturday.
Sam Rogers Jr.'s Changing World and Alan Pesch's Right This Way each won their last starts for Tagg.
The 1 1/8-mile My Charmer attracted a field of 12 as well as one also-eligible entry and two more for the main-track only. The race is one of four stakes events on Calder's Grand Slam I program.
Winner of two of three starts this year, the 4-year-old Changing World won the Violet Handicap (gr. III) Oct. 22 by 1 1/4 lengths at the Meadowlands in her last try. The Florida-bred daughter of Spinning World defeated Ocean Drive in the Violet. Changing World, who won the Frances A. Genter last year in her only other start on the Calder, has won five of 12 races and $281,189 in her career.
Gary Boulanger has the ride on the 117-pound co-highweight.
Right This Way won the Soaring Softly at Aqueduct Nov. 11 following a fifth-place finish in the Pebbles (gr. IIIT) a month earlier at Belmont Park. A 3-year-old Kentucky-bred West by West filly has three wins in seven lifetime tries with earnings of $107,619. Manuel Aguilar gets the call.
Formal Miss, a five-time Calder stakes winner, shares the top weight assignment and gets the services of Manoel R. Cruz for trainer Paul Maxwell.
Todd Pletcher entered Something Ventured, a 5-year-old daughter of Cobra King
who is winless in nine starts this year since running second to New Economy in last year's My Charmer.
Alchemist, to be ridden by Eibar Coa, was a close fifth in the WinStar Galaxy (gr. IIT) at Keeneland in October. Ontario-bred Love Sting won the 2003 running of the Calder Oaks on the turf with Gary Bain aboard. Cecil Stewart is the trainer.$100,000 My Charmer Handicap (gr. IIIT), fillies & mares 3 & up, 1 1/8 miles (turf)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Formal Miss (FL), 117, Manoel R. Cruz
2. Right This Way (KY), 115, Manuel Aguilar
3. Changing World (FL), 117, Gary Boulanger
4. Omeya (CHI), 115, Jorge F. Chavez
5. Broadway Lady (KY), 112, Jose A. Velez, Jr.
6. Hail Hillary (MD), 114, Eusebio Razo, Jr.
7. Anegada (KY), 111, Christopher P. DeCarlo
8. Love Sting (ON), 114, Gary Wilbert Bain
9. Mystery Itself (KY), 112, Eddie Castro
10. Snowdrops (GB), 115, Brice Blanc
11. Alchemist (KY), 116, Eibar Coa
12. Something Ventured (KY), 115, John R. VelazquezAlso Eligible
13. Cloudy Gray (FL), 111, Cecilio PenalbaMain Track Only
14. Redoubled Miss (FL), 112, Eibar Coa
15. Pampered Princess (KY), 112, Manoel R. Cruz
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!