Jockey Jason Lumpkins suffered a fractured left collarbone and a mild concussion when his mount Crozet fell during the running of the $51,875 Star Ball Stakes for fillies and mares Sunday at Golden Gate Fields.Crozet apparently clipped heels off of See Me Through as she rallied three wide in the stretch of the 1 1/16-mile turf race. She stumbled and fell, dropping Lumpkins, who will likely be sidelined for six to eight weeks. Crozet was not injured.Frisco Belle rallied from just off the pace to win the race by three-quarters of a length over Stormica and Shezsospiritual.Frisco Belle raced in fourth while Shezsospiritual and See Me Through dueled on the lead. Ridden by Roberto Gonzalez, Frisco Belle charged through an opening between horses inside the eighth pole to take the lead and then held off Stormica to the wire.
Stormica took second by a nose over Shezsospiritual, who finished a nose in front of 3-2 favorite Shalini.
Frisco Belle, a 4-year-old filly by El Prado trained by Greg Gilchrist, won the Star Ball in 1:45.28 on a yielding turf course and paid $22.60, $10.20 and $5.40 as the second-largest price in the field. Owned by Harry J. Aleo of San Francisco, Frisco Belle earned $28,250. The Star Ball field lost its 9-5 morning-line favorite Sunday morning when the 3-year-old filly Midwife was scratched due to a slight case of colic, according to trainer Jedd Josephson.(Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap