Coming off his maiden win, Turk's Ransom confirmed his appreciation of the Calder grass course Saturday, winning the $100,000 Arthur Appleton Juvenile Turf on Florida Million day. He was ridden to victory by Cornelio Velasquez, who earlier won the Elmer Heubeck Distaff aboard Hopelessly Devoted.
Trained by David Vivian, Jr., Turk's Ransom defeated Eastern Sand by a neck in the 1 1/16 miles turf test, covering the distance in 1:43. It was the first stakes victory for Vivian, Jr., whose father, Dave Vivian, also sent out a stakes winner on Florida Million day in Aclassysassylassy in the Joe O'Farrell Juvenile Fillies. "I knew he had the pedigree for turf," Vivian said. "It's a pretty special day. This is my first stakes win. Tropical Park Derby (Jan. 1), here I come."
Turk's Ransom came from off the pace to win and paid $12.40, 5.80, and 3.80. The 2-year-old colt by Comic Strip is owned by Rutica Stables and was bred by Silverleaf Farms, Inc.
Eastern Sand paid $4.00 and 2.80 to place. Raleigh Express finished a length back in third and returned $3.20 to show. Turk's Ransom now owns back-to-back wins on the Calder turf after breaking his maiden Oct. 18 at the Appleton distance.
Most Popular Stories
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru