Six-time British jockey champion Kieren Fallon will be searching for his first victory at Churchill Downs when he climbs aboard favored River Belle in the $150,000-added Mrs. Revere Stakes (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies on Saturday at Churchill Downs.
A field of 11 fillies has been entered for the Mrs. Revere, the featured event on a 10-race card.
The Irish-born Fallon traveled from England to ride Team Valor, Heiligbrodt Racing Stable and Green Lantern Stables LLC's British-bred daughter of Lahib in the 1 1/16-mile race over the Matt Winn Turf Course. Fallon will also ride Team Valor's Shadowland in Sunday's $150,000-added Commonwealth Turf. "He is, for my money, the best grass rider in the world," Team Valor managing partner Barry Irwin said in a statement from Team Valor. "The thought of having him ride two live mounts for us in one weekend right here in Kentucky is surreal."
River Belle launched her career in England and Ireland. Fallon was in the saddle when she won the Princess Margaret (Eng-III) at Ascot in July 2003.
She was transferred to trainer Todd Pletcher when purchased by her current owners and brought to the U.S. She scored an allowance victory at Saratoga in her American debut in August, then ran third to Seducer's Song in the $150,000-added Red Boiling Springs (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park. Most recently, she was third, beaten only a length by multiple grade I winner Ticker Tape, in the $500,000 Queen Elizabeth Challenge Cup (gr. IT) on Oct. 16 at Keeneland.
River Belle, who is the solid 8-5 choice, has a career record of 3-0-2 in seven races and has earned $159,971. Other major contenders include Heiligbrodt Racing's Sister Swank (4-1), the Steve Asmussen-trained winner of the Valley View (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland in her last start. She has won two of three grass starts, with the only loss being a third-place finish to Ticker Tape in Arlington Park's Pucker Up (gr. IIIT).
Laura and Eugene Melnyk's late developing Black Rock Road (9-2) invades from Canada and puts an unbeaten record on the line for trainer David Bell. The daughter of Bertrando won the Carotene at Woodbine last time out for her third win in as many starts. Brice Blanc will ride. $150,000-added Mrs. Revere Stakes (gr. IIT), 3-year-old fillies, 1 1/16 miles (turf)
PP. Horse (Weight), Jockey, ML Odds
1. Black Rock Road (120), Brice Blanc, 9-2
2. River Belle (120), Keiren Fallon, 8-5
3. With Affection (120), Richard Monterrey, 8-1
4. Sahmkindawonderful (120), Danny Coa, 30-1
5. Lenatareese (120), Larry Melancon, 8-1
6. Casa Nekia (114), Brian Hernandez, Jr., 50-1
7. Jinny's Gold (114), Eddie Martin, Jr., 6-1
8. Topango (120), Kevin Krigger, 30-1
9. Cape Town Lass (114), Dean Sarvis, 30-1
10. Sister Swank (120), Pat Day, 4-1
11. Family Business (114), John McKee, 15-1
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Miss Mossman Surprises in New Zealand Oaks
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick