Ridden by Gary Stevens for trainer Christopher Paasch, Hello Lucky took the lead along the rail in the first quarter-mile of the six-furlong Anoakia. She pulled clear of her nine opponents at the top of the stretch, challenged only by No Bull Baby and jockey Rene Douglas, who finished strongly but came up short. The winning time for the six-furlong test for for 2-year-old fillies was 1:10.
Hello Lucky, daughter of Lucky Lionel-Mystery Number (Secret Hello), carried 118 pounds and paid $6.60, $4 and $3.60. No Bull Baby paid $8 and $6.40. Bulita, ridden by Garrett Gomez, paid $12 to show.
She's a Jewel, the 8-5 favorite, broke slowly and was never a factor, finishing ninth.
The winner, who began her career two-for-two, earned $50,940, bringing her total to $142,140. Hello Lucky was a $4,000 sale at the Ocala Breeders' Sale in 2003. Her owner is Charles Cono of San Diego. (Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Jara's Sister to Make Panama Riding Debut
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Draws Doom U.S. Hopes in HK Jockey Challenge
- Bad Debt, Philly Ace Tropical Turf Topweights
- Partners to Build Racetrack Casino in Calgary
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look