On Feb. 12, Louisiana Derby Preview Day features the Grade III Risen Star Stakes, the Grade II Silverbulletday Stakes for fillies and the Grade III Mineshaft Handicap for older horses, along with the Taylor's Special Handicap for turf sprinters. The flagship day of the 82-day meet will be March 12, when the Louisiana Derby (gr. II), the Fair Grounds Oaks (gr. II), the New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) and the Marie G. Krantz Memorial Handicap will offer a total of $1.5 million in purses - the richest stakes day in Louisiana racing history.
The schedule's other notable day is March 19, when the Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. II) on the turf will headline a stakes tripleheader.
Most Popular Stories
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile