Perennial Bay Area training champion Jerry Hollendorfer is pointing Yougottawanna to the $250,000 California Cup Classic, marquee race for California Cup XV presented by the Oak Tree Racing Association at Santa Anita on Saturday. Yougottawanna is a consistent 5-year-old gelded son of Candi's Gold who has eight wins, seven seconds and four thirds from 28 starts.
"The horse is doing well and we'll probably run," Hollendorfer said. "If we go, Russell Baze will ride him."
Yougottawanna registered a major upset at Santa Anita as a 2-year-old when he defeated 2-5 favorite Officer in the 2001 California Cup Juvenile. In his most recent race, the Governor's Handicap at Sacramento, Yougottawanna carried 120 pounds to a 1 ½-length victory at 1 1/8 miles, the same distance as the Classic. In his last eight races, Yougottawanna has been favored in six, including the last five in a row.
Probable for the Classic: Anziyan Royalty, David Flores; Calkins Road, Rene Douglas; Commander's Flag, Victor Espinoza; Cozy Guy, no rider; Excess Summer, no rider; Kedington, Omar Figueroa; Lava Man, no rider; Tizbud, Tyler Baze; and Yougottawanna, Russell Baze. Tizbud, who won last year's Cal Cup Classic but has been on the sidelines since, worked a mile Saturday in 1:38 3/5.He was ridden by Victor Espinoza in his six career starts but John Sadler has engaged Tyler Baze to ride the son of Cee's Tizzy. "Espinoza took off to ride another horse (Commander's Flag for Jeff Mullins)," Sadler said.
Most Popular Stories
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Jara's Sister to Make Panama Riding Debut
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Draws Doom U.S. Hopes in HK Jockey Challenge
- Bad Debt, Philly Ace Tropical Turf Topweights
- Partners to Build Racetrack Casino in Calgary
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look