Trainer Dale Romans worked out Roses in May, one of his two Breeders' Cup contenders, Oct. 9 at Churchill Downs.Romans said Roses in May, a leading contender for the Classic (gr. I), breezed a mile in 1:42 with regular exercise rider Faustino Orates aboard."He looked perfect," said Romans as he watched the 4-year-old son of Devil His Due cool out afterwards. "It was just what we were looking for. He finished strong."Romans said Roses in May will breeze at least two more times prior to the Oct. 30 race at Lone Star Park. He said this workout at Churchill would be his longest.So far, Roses in May has won seven out of ten starts. Five of those wins have occurred this year. The latest was Sept. 18 in the Kentucky Cup Classic Handicap (gr. II) at Turfway Park.Orates galloped stable mate Kitten's Joy, who is headed for the $2 million Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT). The 3-year-old chestnut is expected to work out at least twice before the race. Romans said Roses in May and Kitten's Joy will leave for Texas either Oct 18 or 19, depending on flight schedules."Both horses are as good as they've ever been," Romans said. "And we hope to maintain that."
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Chad Brown Fillies Vie for Florida Oaks
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome