Another Breeders' Cup hopeful on the Sunday morning worktab was Sprint (gr. I) candidate Bluesthestandard, who earned the bullet for a half-mile in :45 4/5, the best of 55 who went the distance on the day. According to trainer Ted West, Bluesthestandard will start next in the $250,000 Ancient Title Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. I) on Oct. 10 and a strong performance there would earn the 7-year-old son of American Standard a trip to Lone Star Park.
"He has to run really well in the Ancient Title first," West said. "His work was super, just like he always does. He's right where we want him to be this time of year."
Bluesthestandard finished third in last year's Ancient Title before running second to Cajun Beat in the Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita.
Grade 1 winner Island Fashion, who hasn't started since finishing 16th in the Yasuda Kinen (gr. I) at Tokyo Racecourse on June 6, went five furlongs in 1:11 3/5 in preparation for the Lady's Secret Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) on Oct. 3. With a strong performance in the 1 1/16-mile Lady's Secret, the 4-year-old daughter of Petionville will most likely continue on to the Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I), trainer Marcelo Polanco said.
"It was a good work," Polanco said. "She's in pretty good shape now, but we're going to take it day by day."
Polanco also said that he hadn't decided on a rider yet for Island Fashion in the Lady's Secret.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury
- 'Derby Poker Bourbon Bash' to Benefit TCA
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses