Artie Schiller, arguably the second best 3-year-old turf horse in the nation behind Kitten's Joy, breezed five furlongs in 1:00 over Belmont Park's main track Tuesday in preparation for Sunday's grade II, $200,000 Jamaica at nine furlongs on turf. Jockey Richard Migliore, who has ridden Artie Schiller to three stakes victories this year, was aboard for the workout.Others pointing to the Jamaica are Dealer Choice, Icy Atlantic, Catch the Glory and Kennel Up. Rousing Victory, Song of the Sword and Toasted are possible.Artie Schiller four victories from six starts this season, including Saratoga's National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame Stakes (gr. IIT)."He's always been pretty willing working and you can usually get him ready to run," trainer Jimmy Jerkens said. "He had been running well all year with three weeks between races, but you can't run in all of them."
Artie Schiller, and Kitten's Joy for that matter, both appear as good, if not better, than many of the top U.S.-based turf horses. Jerkens, however, said it is highly unlikely that Artie Schiller would compete in the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships Oct. 30.
"He would have to run so sensational and really acted like he had stepped up to another level" to be pointed toward the Breeders' Cup, Jerken said.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Chasing Landaluce
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points