Artie Schiller, arguably the second best 3-year-old turf horse in the nation behind Kitten's Joy, breezed five furlongs in 1:00 over Belmont Park's main track Tuesday in preparation for Sunday's grade II, $200,000 Jamaica at nine furlongs on turf. Jockey Richard Migliore, who has ridden Artie Schiller to three stakes victories this year, was aboard for the workout.Others pointing to the Jamaica are Dealer Choice, Icy Atlantic, Catch the Glory and Kennel Up. Rousing Victory, Song of the Sword and Toasted are possible.Artie Schiller four victories from six starts this season, including Saratoga's National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame Stakes (gr. IIT)."He's always been pretty willing working and you can usually get him ready to run," trainer Jimmy Jerkens said. "He had been running well all year with three weeks between races, but you can't run in all of them."
Artie Schiller, and Kitten's Joy for that matter, both appear as good, if not better, than many of the top U.S.-based turf horses. Jerkens, however, said it is highly unlikely that Artie Schiller would compete in the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships Oct. 30.
"He would have to run so sensational and really acted like he had stepped up to another level" to be pointed toward the Breeders' Cup, Jerken said.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident