Edmund Gann's Peace Rules, a career earner of more than $3 million, will not compete in the upcoming Atto Mile (Can-I) Sept. 19 at Woodbine, trainer Bobby Frankel said Sunday.The multiple stakes-winning 4-year-old son of Jules was scheduled to make his first Canadian appearance on the lawn in the $1 million Atto, his first turf start since finishing last, as the lukewarm favorite, in the 2003 Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), the worst performance in his sterling career."We're not coming," said the Hall of Fame trainer. "He coughed this morning, we scoped him and he was full of mucous. I'll probably run him back here (at Belmont Park) in the (Oct. 2) Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I)."Peace Rules would have vied with Sam-Son Farm's Soaring Free as the Atto favorite.In 2003, Peace Rules was one of the continent's top sophomores, winning the Louisiana Derby (gr. II), Blue Grass (gr. I) and Haskell Invitational (gr. I), in addition to a second place finish in the Travers (gr. I) and a third place effort in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).This year, he'd won three of his six starts, taking the New Orleans, Oaklawn Park (gr. II) and Suburban (gr. I) handicaps.
Frankel and Gann teamed to win the 2000 Atto Mile with longshot Riviera.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap