Calder Braces for Storm, Alters Schedule
Updated: Saturday, September 4, 2004 2:10 PM
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2004 11:51 AM
With Hurricane Frances bearing down on Florida, Calder Race Course near Miami has announced changes in its racing schedule.
There will be:
* No live racing or simulcasting on Friday, Sept. 3 or Saturday, Sept. 4.
* The Juvenile Showcase has been rescheduled for Labor Day Monday, Sept. 6.
* The Miami Mile Breeders' Cup Handicap (G3) is rescheduled for Saturday, Sept. 11.
* The main track and training track will be open for training on Friday, Sept. 3, but closed on Saturday, Sept. 4.
* No new horses will be accepted into the Calder stable area during this time.
Calder's maintenance team has been busy storing equipment, fueling vehicles, and filling water trucks. The Horsemen's Benevolent & Protective Association (FHBPA) has provided horsemen with a list of preparations for the hurricane. The list
* All horses should have identification halters on.
* Fifteen gallons of water should be available per horse per 24 hours.
* Shavings should be banked high against the walls in the horses' stalls to prevent them from getting cast.
* All loose equipment is to be placed in tack rooms.
* It is recommended to close the top and bottom stall doors if possible.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!