The Jockey Club projects a North American registered Thoroughbred foal crop of 37,200 in 2005, equivalent to the forecast for this year.
The foal crop projection is computed by using Reports of Mares Bred so far received for the 2004 breeding season. RMB's are to be filed by Aug. 1 of each breeding season.
"The current pace of RMB submissions closely resembles that from last year so we expect both the 2005 and 2004 foal crops to be similar in size after all foal registration applications are eventually received," said Matt Iuliano, the Jockey Club's vice president of registration services.
The 37,200 estimate for both 2005 and 2004 is slightly above the projected 2003 registered Thoroughbred foal crop of 37,000.
Foal registration is to be completed within 12 months of the birth of the foal. However, late registration is available for additional fees, making accurate foal crop counts difficult before Dec. 31 of the crop's two-year-old year, when the vast majority of the foal crop has been registered.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts