The Jockey Club projects a North American registered Thoroughbred foal crop of 37,200 in 2005, equivalent to the forecast for this year.
The foal crop projection is computed by using Reports of Mares Bred so far received for the 2004 breeding season. RMB's are to be filed by Aug. 1 of each breeding season.
"The current pace of RMB submissions closely resembles that from last year so we expect both the 2005 and 2004 foal crops to be similar in size after all foal registration applications are eventually received," said Matt Iuliano, the Jockey Club's vice president of registration services.
The 37,200 estimate for both 2005 and 2004 is slightly above the projected 2003 registered Thoroughbred foal crop of 37,000.
Foal registration is to be completed within 12 months of the birth of the foal. However, late registration is available for additional fees, making accurate foal crop counts difficult before Dec. 31 of the crop's two-year-old year, when the vast majority of the foal crop has been registered.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Stallion Monba Represented by First Winner
- Calder Releases 2014 Partial Stakes Schedule
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong