The 2004 Oak Tree season will include twilight racing on Fridays throughout the 26-day meeting as well as a daily $1 "Pick Five" wager.The meeting runs from Sept. 29 to Oct. 31. Post time will be 2:30 p.m. on Fridays -- Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29.
Sherwood C. Chillingworth, Oak Tree executive vice president, said the time switch is an experiment.
"It will allow some people who normally can't make it on Fridays a chance to come out to the track," Chillingworth said. "We'll take a page out of the Del Mar book and offer concerts."
Post time on Wednesdays and Thursdays remains 1 p.m. First post on weekends and holidays is at 12:30 p.m. Exceptions are California Cup Day, Saturday, Oct. 16 (noon) and Breeders' Cup Day Oct. 30 (9:40 a.m.)
The Pick Five will involve the last five races of each day's card, sandwiched between the beginning of the $2 Pick Six and the $1 Pick Four. On weekday eight-race cards, for example, the Pick Five will begin on the fourth race, and for weekend nine-race programs the Pick Five gets underway on race five.
There won't be a Pick Five carryover. On days with no winning tickets, the pool will be distributed to tickets with four wins, etc.
"To my knowledge this is the first Pick Five with a $1 wager," Chillingworth said. "The rationale is that people can put together a decent ticket with a smaller bankroll. Also, if you blow out early on the Pick Six, you can come right back and start a Pick Five."
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Nutritional Management of Insulin Resistance in Horses
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile