After a seven-week break, live racing returns to Maryland on Saturday, July 31 at Pimlico Race Course with a nine-race card, headlined by the $100,000 Twixt Stakes for 3-year-old Maryland-bred fillies.The 16-day summer meet features four stakes races. The other added money offerings during the meet, which ends Aug. 27, will be three $75,000 turf races: Mister Diz (Aug. 7), All Brandy (Aug. 14) and Find Handicap (August 21). Live racing will take place during a five-week period on a Thursday through Sunday schedule, except for the first and last weeks. Ryan Fogelsonger won the riding title at the recent Colonial Downs meet for the second consecutive year, winning 53 races in 30 days, defeating Horacio Karamanos by 17 trips to the winner's circle. It was the eighth riding championship for Fogelsonger who captured five straight meets at the major Maryland tracks in 2002-2003. "We got off to a hot start which was the key to winning the meet," said Fogelsonger, who won at a 26% clip. "I rode the best horses every day and when that happens you should win races." Fogelsonger, who has 667 career victories and earnings of $13 million in his 28-month career, will begin the summer meet on the sidelines, serving a seven-day suspension for a riding infraction that occurred during the Pimlico spring stand. The 23-year-old will not ride his first race of the stand until Friday, Aug. 13.
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay