Buddy Gil, a 4-year-old son of Eastern Echo worked a bullet five furlongs in 1:01 4/5 under exercise rider Wendy Stone at Del Mar on Saturday morning.
"I can't get over it (how good he worked)," Stone enthused after the move.
Buddy Gil, who is owned by the partnership of Billingsley Creek Ranch and Desperado Stables, et al, won the 2003 Baldwin in what was his first graded stakes score before going on to capture the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) and finish sixth in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). The bay gelding subsequently underwent surgery to remove chips from a knee and has only managed one win in five starts since.
"We've always had a return (to the grass) as part of the plan for him," Mullins said.
Buddy Gil, who also won last year's San Felipe Stakes (gr. II), has banked $784,070 from a record of 15-6-2-1.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale