The Belmont Celebration, hosted by the New York Racing Association and The Jockey Club on June 4 at Belmont Park, raised more than $235,000 for the Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation.
This yearês celebration honored veteran turf writer Joe Hirsch of Daily Racing Form for his contributions to the sport over the last five decades.
–I am most grateful for the continued support of the New York Racing Association and all of the individuals and organizations who contributed to the success of the Belmont Celebration,” said Nancy Kelly, vice president of development for Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation. –The money raised will greatly aid in the costs of research in important areas of equine health, leading to benefits throughout the horse community.”
The Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation is the nationês leading private source of equine research funding. In 2004, the foundation has allocated more than $850,000 to underwrite 20 research projects at 12 universities, bringing the foundationês total funding since 1983 to more than $11 million to underwrite 189 projects at 31 universities.
Current research projects focus on issues that affect horses of many breeds and uses. Among the projects are studies on laminitis, West Nile Virus, pneumonia and cartilage repair.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity