Mineshaft, the eventual Horse of the Year, co-owned by Farish, trained by Howard, and ridden by Albarado, was upset in the 2003 Foster by Perfect Drift.
Midway Road comes into the Stephen Foster off a pair of good efforts. He scored a track record-setting 11 1/4-length victory in the Ben Ali (gr. III) at Keeneland and followed that effort with his runner-up effort in the Pimlico Special. The 4-year-old son of Jade Hunter, who finished second to Funny Cide in last year's Preakness (gr. I), has a career record of 4-2-2 in 12 races and has earned $518,085.Southern Image, the likely favorite for the Stephen Foster, was scheduled to arrive at Churchill Downs late Tuesday morning following a flight from California. Peace Rules, Edmund Gann's winner of the Oaklawn Handicap (gr. II) and New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) this year and a two-time grade I winner as a 3-year-old for Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, is scheduled to arrive from New York this afternoon.Stonecrest Farm's Perfect Drift jogged and galloped lightly under exercise rider Michael Bowlds over a "fast" surface at Churchill Downs' Trackside Louisville training center. The 5-year-old Dynaformer gelding breezed on Saturday for trainer Murray Johnson."He's very happy," said Johnson. "We're ready for the big race again."Others listed as possible for the Foster include Best Minister and Colonial Colony.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points
- Chasing Landaluce