Alfonso Torres, deputy administrator for APHIS' veterinary services program.EPM is a debilitating and sometimes fatal neurologic disease of horses linked to infection by a protozoal parasite most often identified as Sarcosystis neurona. Opossums and birds are the normal hosts for S. neurona; horses can become infected by ingesting the organism in food or water contaminated by opossum fecal material. In some cases, infection by the parasite might result in damage to the central nervous system, particularly the spinal cord.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes