The D. Wayne Lukas-trained Stellar Jayne can break back into the victory column when she heads a field of seven 3-year-old fillies in Sunday's $150,000-added Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
The Dogwood, which includes a supplement of $50,000 from the Breeders' Cup Fund, is a 1 1/16-mile race for 3-year-old fillies.
Stellar Jayne, a daughter of Wild Rush owned by Spendthrift Farm LLC, Chuck Kidder, Nancy Cole and Nick Strong, ran seventh behind Ashado in the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) in her most recent start, her seventh consecutive loss since she rallied from far back to win the $100,000-added Pocahontas Stakes in November at Churchill Downs. But that string includes solid efforts in the Las Virgenes (gr. I) at Santa Anita, in which she finished fourth to A.P. Adventure, and a third-place run in the Fantasy (gr. II) at Oaklawn, where she finished behind House of Fortune and eventual Kentucky Oaks runner-up Island Sand.
"We've really stepped up and we've tried some of those Grade ones," said Lukas. "Now if we can just drop back a little bit and avoid some of those heavy heads, I think it might help her a lot. And, of course, she loves this race track."
Jockey Robby Albarado will ride Stellar Jayne, who has won 3 of 11 races and will carry 120 pounds. She is listed as the 5-2 co-second choice in the morning line.
Stellar Jayne will face a formidable rival in Green Lantern Stable's Ender's Sister, the 8-5 morning line favorite.
Ender's Sister shipped from trainer Rusty Arnold's New York stable for the Dogwood. The daughter of A.P. Indy won the Florida Oaks (gr. III) at Tampa Bay Downs in March and followed that with a strong runner-up finish to Friendly Michelle in the La Troienne (gr. III) at Churchill Downs during Kentucky Derby Week. Pat Day will ride Ender's Sister, who has a record of 4-3-0 in eight races and will carry co-highweight of 122 pounds.
Stonerside Stable's Miss Coronado looked like one of the top fillies of her crop when she won the Davona Dale (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park for trainer Bobby Frankel, but has disappointed since. She had an eighth-place finish in the Fantasy and then ran third against older rivals in an allowance race on the grass at Churchill Downs. She is the co-second choice with Stellar Jayne at 5-2 and will be ridden by Cornelio Velasquez. $150,000 Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III), 3-year-old fillies, 1 1/16 mile
PP. Horse (Weight) Jockey ML Odds
1. Ender's Sister (122) Pat Day 8-5
2. Miss Coronado (120) Cornelio Velasquez 5-2
3. Galloping Gal (122) Brice Blanc 6-1
4. Dynaville (113) Craig Perret 12-1
5. Family Business (114) Calvin Borel 12-1
6. Stellar Jayne (120) Robby Albarado 5-2
7. Silver Wench (114) Willie Martinez 20-1
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award