Gosden is hoping for a big effort in the Derby for Sangster's memory. "His death leaves a huge gap," he said. "No British owner gave more to racing and I rather wish he was here today." Stewards held a brief inquiry into the drifting incident because of jockey Frankie Dettori's use of the whip in the final furlong. He struck Percussionist five times in rapid succession. Dettori explained that he used the whip to try to correct his colt.
"He won really well, loved the ground and I couldn't fault his performance," Dettori said. "The camera took him by surprise. It is on eye level to the horse from a furlong and a half out. Up to then he had been as good as gold."
Hazyview finished 17 lengths clear of Five Dynasties. The final time on soft going was 2:38.30.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Taptowne Draws Rail in Well-Matched Razorback