Jockey John McKee avoided serious injury on Friday at Churchill Downs when his mount stumbled at the start of the third race and threw the rider to the track. The 21-year-old native of Hamersville, Ohio suffered a deep bruise to his left thigh, according to attending track physician Dr. Mike Hilliard. McKee took off the rest of his scheduled mounts on the Friday race card. His mount, a 3-year-old filly named Flashy, was not injured in the mishap. She is owned by James Tafel, LLC and trained by Carl Nafzger. McKee participated in his first Kentucky Derby last weekend and finished 13th aboard Mrs. James Winn's Pro Prado. (Chart, Equibase)
Most Popular Stories
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.
- Haskin: Another Opportunity For Wise Dan
- Who Will Win the Big 'Cap Showdown?
- Bayern Out of San Felipe With Bruised Quarter
- Epic Rematch Set for Santa Anita Handicap
- Bond Holder to Florida Clinic for Monitoring
- Shippers Head Wide-Open Honeybee
- Sherman Keeps Ticking With California Chrome
- 191 Nominated to Toyota Blue Grass Stakes
- Conquest Titan, Vinceremos Loom in Tampa Bay